Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Yogurt

Yogurt

-Gently heat the milk to 180 degrees (which is almost boiling). 
-Take off heat and cool to 105-115 degrees. 
-Once cool, pour in glass jars (I usually use quart jars). Add 2-4 Tblsp of yogurt with live cultures (from a previous batch or yogurt from the store) to each jar.  You can also add the sugar and vanilla now while it's still warm to dissolve it or after it's cultured.  
-Stir well, cover with lid and put in a warm place at 105 degrees for 8-24 hours (It gets tangier with time).  My favorite place to culture the yogurt is my dehydrator. 
-I’m still playing with how to sweeten it,  but right now I add about 1 ½ Tblsp of sugar to a pint of yogurt and a little vanilla.  Or I keep it plain to add to smoothies.

-Refrigerate.

No comments:

Post a Comment