about 5 cups all-purpose flour (or ½ white ½ wheat)
2 (.25 ounce) packages dry yeast (4 1/2 tsp)
1 cup milk
3/4 cup water
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/4 cup white sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1. Mix together yeast and 2 1/2 cups of the flour.
2. In a separate bowl heat milk, water, oil, sugar and salt to lukewarm in microwave. (I usually put all these in my pyrex two cup glass measurer and heat for 75 seconds.) Add all at once to flour and yeast and mix well for about 2-3 minutes.
3. Mix in enough flour to make a soft dough - 2 to 3 more cups. Dust surface with flour, turn dough out and cover with bowl, let sit 10 minutes.
4. Shape dough into 12 - 16 balls, and place on greased or parchment lined baking sheet to rise until doubled in size (about 30 minutes), preheat oven to 400.
5. Bake for 12 to 15 minutes. Butter tops when they come out.
* These are our families most favorite rolls. They take just over an hour to make and are super yummy. I’ve tried lots of other recipes that take longer and are more labor intensive and we always come back to these. They are also good for fast cinnamon rolls or hamburger buns. I’ve taken these to lots of friends for dinner and always get asked for the recipe. A winner for sure :)