Hopefully you've all made this before, it's been floating around the internet for a while. But if you haven't you really should. It's great for company and my whole family loves it - yay! Oh, and I usually have everything on the ingredient list. Double yay!
- 1 lb chicken (cut into bite size pieces)
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic salt
- 3/4 cup corn starch
- 2 large eggs, whisked
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- Sweet and sour sauce:
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 tsp garlic salt
- 1/2 cup + 1 TB rice vinegar (I usually use plain distilled or apple cider vinegar)
- 1 TB soy sauce
- Place the chicken, corn starch, salt, pepper and garlic salt in a large ziplock bag and shake until the chicken is evenly coated.
- Heat 1/4 cup oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Dip the chicken in the egg mixture and place in the frying pan with a fork. I did half the batch first. Fry both sides of the chicken for about 2 minutes a piece. Line a baking sheet with foil and place chicken on the pan. Dispose of the burnt oil and then heat up the rest of the oil and finish the chicken.
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees.
- In a medium size bowl whisk together all of the ingredients for the sauce.
- Next you'll pour the sauce over the chicken and bake for 20 minutes. Pull the chicken out and flip the chicken to evenly coat it with sauce. Then bake for an additional 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with steamed rice and veggies.
Click over for a printable recipe.
P.S. I spent 20 minutes today drooling over the on-line menu at Olive Garden and Noodles & Company, so if any of you have any copycat recipes you've tried from those places please share with a hungry pregnant lady! :)